Pages

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Beginning

So I've got the idea for my second novel sort of planned out in my head. And by sort of planned out I mean I haven't gotten the slightest idea of what I want. You see, I have the picture. I know what I want to achieve and my motivations are simple. The motivation of my main character (MC) is clear and simple as well.

My problem lies in getting my MC from point A to point B in a meaningful way. How can I hold reader interest while telling my story? What will happen in between points A and B? What do I do when I get so sick of thinking about it that I begin to think that I will never be able to start?

Well, I stopped writing until these questions are answered. I kept thinking about it, however. I have been thinking about different ways to start my new novel. I have been thinking about this massive problem for a good three weeks.

Luckily, last night I had a break through. I have written down my ideas, but I have not written anything out. When you have the right beginning, ideas will come into your head and for a time, everything in the writing process is easy.

As far as end notes go: Don't give up when the future of your work looks daunting. Keep thinking about it. Let the story evolve. Don't limit yourself to one idea. Keep mulling it over. Ideas for stories are like a fine wine. You have to give them time to age. And then once you have the content sorted, write.

I would like to wish everyone a safe and joyous holiday! May it be filled with merriment and love. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment