Pages

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Editing

I have to tell you, no matter how much editing you do, it may never seem like enough. I have edited my novel numerous times and I still find little things that I somehow keep missing. It's driving me crazy!

So, what I've done with editing is the following. I had several people read my novel and hoped that they went over it with a fine tooth comb. I put their changes into the document and then read it myself. I printed it out - this is very helpful and my Word document was 175 pages, and it only cost about $15. I was able to mark the pages up to my heart's content.

Unfortunately, it was not enough. I still keep finding little things that I thought I had fixed. Or maybe they're problems I created when I edited other parts. Who knows. As long as you don't give up during the editing process, you'll be thanking yourself later!

Strategies for tackling one of the hardest parts of the writing process:

1. Have people you trust read it. Ask for their honest feedback, and don't get offended when they make suggestions.

2. Don't be afraid to change what you've written. If your group doesn't like a part of the story, ask for their suggestions and make the changes. Remember, take each suggestion with a grain of salt, but truly listen to them.

3. Read every single word. I was a writing tutor for a year and I can tell you how easily we skip over words. Our brain supplies the word we are looking for or that's missing.

4. Read it out loud if you can. This helps you to hear what is written and you'll be able to tell if something is off. I had many students who would say a different word than the one on the page. Catch yourself doing that and make the changes.

5. Take it in chunks. Long novels can be overwhelming! Take your work chapter by chapter or say, 5 pages at a time. After you've hit your mark, stop! Take a break, and come back to it with fresh eyes. Yes, that's going to take a while, but proper editing takes time.

6. Hiring an editor. For those of you who can afford it (and there are cheap sources out there I am sure), this can be an extremely valuable resource. The person you are hiring is paid to look at your work with a critical eye. They will hopefully ask the right questions that will help you improve your work as well as check your grammar and spelling. If he/she is willing, ask the editor to look at the global themes of the work and at the big picture.

7. Tackle the big picture problems first. Plot holes, confusing text, confusing plot, etc. Those things are the largest problems you will face with your writing. J.K. Rowling created an enormous plot hole in Goblet of Fire and had to rewrite the book, source. (Wikipedia for the short, sweet version: source).

8. Look at resources online for editing help. I do all the time! It helps and it's free. Purdue OWL is a wonderful resource, and the page I linked you to has great information about the mechanics of writing and editing. The Punctuation Guide I found has been a lifesaver for me! It offers examples for every piece of punctuation you will use in your writing. In case you need a grammar review, Purdue also has a wonderful grammar page. Yes, I know it's an academic website, but their information is priceless!

9. Don't give up! This should really be at the top, but I figure if you've read this far, you might need a little reminder. What you are doing is important, not only for you readers, but for yourself as well. You deserve to have your best work put out there for the world to see. Don't sell yourself short with something that hasn't been edited.

Well, this post ended up being larger than I anticipated it to be. Good luck with your editing, readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment